HSHS Holy Family Hospital continues to expand health care services offered to the community. In addition to the recently announced pelvic floor therapy program, lymphedema therapy will now be offered locally.
Lymphedema is a condition caused by the disruption of the lymphatic system which leads to swelling. If left untreated, the swelling will worsen, the tissue can become harder and more painful, and there is an increased risk of infection. Therapists certified in specialized lymphedema therapy can help those suffering from lymphedema.
“We are proud to share Kristen Hrasky, OTR/L, CLT, and Julia Dunaway, COTA/L, CLT, completed their lymphedema certification from the Norton School of Lymphatic Therapy and are now certified lymphedema therapists,” shared Erin Steinacher, director of rehabilitation at Holy Family Hospital.
There are different components to lymphedema treatment:
- Manual lymph drainage – Gentle massage techniques that helps move fluid out of the affected area to healthy lymph node regions.
- Compression bandaging – A multi-layer bandaging approach helping to move fluid out of the affected area.
- Skin care
- Compression garment fitting
Those who follow treatment steps and use compression garments may experience the following results:
- Reduced swelling to normal or near normal size and maintaining that swelling reduction.
- Wound healing and reduced risk of skin infections.
- Softened skin texture and improved skin health.
- Improved functioning of the affected limb.
- Improved quality of life through effective swelling control.
For questions or more information about how you may benefit from lymphedema therapy, contact Holy Family Hospital’s outpatient rehab services at 618-664-2626 to learn more or schedule an appointment (after receiving a referral for therapy from your physician).
HSHS Holy Family Hospital’s physical therapy department is powered by APEX Network Physical Therapy.
Photo Caption: HSHS Holy Family Hospital occupational therapists (left to right) Kristen Hrasky and Julia Dunaway recently completed certification training to provide lymphedema therapy services to the community.