Scholarship recipients were named at the HSHS Sacred Heart Foundation annual Caritas Guild dinner, which took place May 7 in HSHS Sacred Heart Hospital’s Monsignor Klimek Auditorium. The annual donor event pays tribute to individuals and organizations that provide extraordinary philanthropic support for the health care ministry of HSHS Sacred Heart Hospital.
The scholarships are intended to promote the highest level of patient care by providing hospital colleagues with assistance to attend academic programs or conferences to advance their clinical education.
• Kristin Peters, BSN, a registered nurse in the critical care department, received a scholarship from the Brain and Spine Educational Enhancement Endowment. A recipient must work with patients in neurology or neurosurgery, which includes stroke, critical care, rehabilitation and emergency services, nursing, surgery, or technical support.
• Chris Zimmerman, RN, MSN, CNRN, clinical education manager, received a scholarship from the Michael D. Markin & Patricia J. Markin Children's Fund. A recipient must work in an area that enhances pediatric care and pediatric counseling programs for children at the hospital. Zimmerman also received a scholarship from the Annabel Bauer Surgical Nurse Education Endowment, which helps to fund academic programs, seminars and continuing education for surgical nurses.
• Hannah Schroeder, MSN-Ed, RN, CNE, CHSE, PCCN, simulation program coordinator and nurse educator in the clinical education department, received a scholarship from the Annabel Bauer Surgical Nurse Education Endowment. This endowment helps to fund academic programs, seminars and continuing education for surgical nurses.
• Jennifer Vaughan, NS, BSN, cardiac educator in the cardiac rehabilitation department, received a scholarship from the Annabel Bauer Cardiac Nursing Award Endowment, which benefits and supports further education and technical training for nurses who work with cardiac patients.
• Cardiac Care Nurses also received a scholarship to participate in American Association of Critical Care Nurses two-day CCRN-PCCN review course from the Annabel Bauer Cardiac Nursing Award Endowment. This endowment benefits and supports further education and technical training for nurses who work with cardiac patients.
• Jessica Gugel, oncology nurse navigator, received the Marten Transport, LTD. Education Endowment for Cancer Care, which is new this year. She will be attending the Academy of Oncology Nurse & Patient Navigation Mid-Year Conference.
“The engagement of our donors with our frontline colleagues has been very rewarding, and this endowed scholarship program is an effective way to reward and retain the best and brightest who serve our patients and their loved ones every day with the very best care possible,” said Ann Kaiser, director, HSHS Sacred Heart Foundation.