National Rural Health Day, founded by the National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health (NOSORH), will be celebrated on Thursday, Nov. 18.
“Small towns, farming communities and frontier areas are wonderful places to live and work; they are places where neighbors know each other and work together,” said Teryl Eisinger, CEO of the NOSORH. “The hospitals and providers serving these rural communities not only provide quality patient care, but they also help keep good jobs in rural America.”
To honor National Rural Health Day, HSHS St. Clare Memorial Hospital and Prevea Health offer “Five Things to Know” about the importance of rural health care in Oconto County, and across the country:
- An estimated 57 million people – nearly one in five Americans – live in rural and frontier communities throughout the United States.
- In 1977, the Rural Health Clinic Services Act helped to establish Rural Health Clinics, or RHCs, to address the shortage of physicians serving patients in rural areas.
- Today, there are more than 4,500 federally designated RHCs nationwide providing health care services in underserved areas.
- Together, HSHS St. Clare Memorial Hospital and Prevea Health offer five RHCs throughout Oconto County to provide not only health care, but jobs to local residents. Our RHCs (HSHS St. Clare Memorial Hospital Prevea Health Centers) are located in Oconto Falls, Gillett, Lena, Mountain and Suring. So far in 2021, HSHS St. Clare Memorial Hospital Prevea Health Centers have provided care to nearly 12,000 people.
- Founded as Oconto Falls City Hospital in 1921, HSHS St. Clare Memorial Hospital has been providing rural health care for 100 years. It is a federally designated critical access hospital offering 24-hour emergency care, urgent care and a variety of other services. It is located at 855 S. Main St. in Oconto Falls.
“We are honored to care for those who live in and frequent these wonderful rural communities,” said Nicole Stapleton, Director of HSHS St. Clare Memorial Hospital Prevea Health Centers. “As a local leader in rural health care, we are also proud of our efforts to provide testing and vaccinations to keep these communities healthy and safe during the COVID-19 pandemic.”
For more information about the HSHS St. Clare Memorial Hospital Prevea Health Centers, please visit: https://www.hshs.org/stclare/Services/Family-Medicine/Clinics
About HSHS St. Clare Memorial Hospital
HSHS St. Clare Memorial Hospital serves Oconto Falls and the surrounding communities as a federally-designated critical access hospital with a 24-hour emergency department, urgent care, general, vascular and orthopedic surgical services, inpatient and outpatient surgical and diagnostic services, rehabilitation, oncology outpatient clinic and women’s care. HSHS St. Clare Memorial Hospital, in affiliation with Prevea Health, has five regional health center locations in Gillett, Lena, Mountain, Oconto Falls and Suring. Founded in 1921 as Community Memorial Hospital, in 2014, HSHS St. Clare Memorial Hospital became the fourteenth hospital in Hospital Sisters Health System. As an affiliate of Hospital Sisters Health System, we draw on the history of St. Francis of Assisi as we move to continue serving the health care needs of our area in Christ’s healing ministry, caring for all people. For more information about St. Clare, visit www.stclarememorial.org.
About Hospital Sisters Health System
Hospital Sisters Health System’s (HSHS) mission is to reveal and embody Christ’s healing love for all people through our high quality, Franciscan health care ministry. HSHS provides state-of-the-art health care to our patients and is dedicated to serving all people, especially the most vulnerable, at each of our 15 Local Systems and physician practices in Illinois (Breese, Decatur, Effingham, Greenville, Highland, Litchfield, O’Fallon, Shelbyville and Springfield) and Wisconsin (Chippewa Falls, Eau Claire, Oconto Falls, Sheboygan, and two in Green Bay). HSHS is sponsored by Hospital Sisters Ministries. For more information about HSHS, visit www.hshs.org. For more information about Hospital Sisters of St. Francis, visit www.hospitalsisters.org.
About Prevea Health
Founded in Green Bay, Wis. in 1996, Prevea Health is a health care organization that provides high-quality, primary and specialty health care in 80+ locations across Northern, Eastern and Western Wisconsin in clinic and hospital settings. It is partnered with six Hospital Sisters Health System (HSHS) hospitals across Wisconsin to provide patients a system of highly-coordinated care, close to home: HSHS St. Vincent Hospital and HSHS St. Mary’s Hospital Medical Center in Green Bay; HSHS St. Nicholas Hospital in Sheboygan; HSHS St. Clare Memorial Hospital in Oconto Falls; HSHS Sacred Heart Hospital in Eau Claire; and HSHS St. Joseph’s Hospital in Chippewa Falls. For more information, visit www.prevea.com.