Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
When you're expecting, we're preparing for the unexpected.
The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) in HSHS St. John's Children’s Hospital provides care to premature babies and other seriously ill infants throughout south-central Illinois. Innovative features of our newly renovated unit include:
- Single family rooms where parents can stay overnight.
- Expanded rooms that allow NICU twins and their families to stay together.
- Dedicated rooms to meet the highly specialized needs of the smallest patients.
- A milk lab where infant feeding technicians will prepare individualized human milk and formula feedings that promote optimal nutrition and growth.
- Phase II of the renovation project, which will include a family respite lounge and overnight sleep suites, is scheduled to open later this year.
The NICU also offers couplet care which enables mom and her NICU baby to heal in the same space should the baby need a higher level of care. St. John’s is one of only a few hospitals and medical centers in the United States to offer this innovative concept.
As the area's only level III NICU, our expert care teams of neonatologists, nurse practitioners, RNs and respiratory therapists are specially trained to work with our smallest patients. Our team also includes pharmacists, dietitians, lactation specialists, pediatric rehabilitation therapists, social workers and spiritual care staff members.