The compassionate inpatient therapy team at HSHS St. Vincent Hospital and HSHS St. Mary’s Hospital Medical Center are dedicated to helping patients make an optimal recovery.
HSHS St. Vincent and St. Mary’s Hospitals provide a wide range of therapy services including physical, occupational and speech therapy.
The therapists at HSHS St. Vincent and St. Mary’s Hospitals are an integral part of the patient’s comprehensive care and work in collaboration with the patients’ healthcare team—including their physicians, nurses, social workers, case managers and dietitians—to ensure the highest quality of care. Our therapists also assist with discharge plans and home modifications, based on prior level-of-function and special care needs.
Often times, therapy is also needed when patients leave the hospital. HSHS St. Vincent Hospital and HSHS St. Mary's Hospital Medical Center offer home health therapy to patients upon discharge in order to further progress their function in their own home setting. The Prevea Therapy Institute offers outpatient therapy services at numerous locations for continued care after the hospital stay.
Occupational therapy helps prepare patients to successfully perform daily activities, such as bathing, dressing and home care management. Our highly-skilled occupational therapy team will customize a program to help restore function through:
- Activities of daily living, such as dressing and bathing
- Range-of-motion, strengthening and coordination exercises
- Patient and family education and training in equipment needs
- Vision and memory training
The goal of inpatient physical therapy is to restore normal movement and function after a patient undergoes surgery or suffers from an illness or injury. Our dedicated team of licensed physical therapists uses hands-on treatment, exercise and gait training to help you regain independence. Physical therapy assists with:
- Restoring normal function, strength and coordination
- Improving mobility
- Relieving pain
Speech therapy may be involved when your communication, thinking or swallowing has been affected by illness or injury. Our skilled speech therapists are specifically trained to restore, rehabilitate and help patients:
- Regain speaking, reading and writing abilities
- Improve a patient’s ability to understand what others are saying
- Improve a patient’s thinking, math and memory skills, so they can manage their affairs
- Improving swallowing skills to a safe level with food and beverages