Formerly Shelby Memorial Hospital, HSHS Good Shepherd Hospital joined the Hospital Sisters Health System in January 2017. Providing quality health care to the Shelby County community has been a tradition of the hospital for more than 100 years.
The hospital was established in Shelbyville, the county seat, in 1916. During that year, a campaign was launched by Senator George D. Chaffee to bring health care services to the area. After residents and organizations worked tirelessly to build contributions for a hospital fund, work on the hospital building was started in 1917 and the new building, built on land that was formerly an old Lutheran Cemetery on South Cedar Street, was dedicated on July 4, 1918. The day the country celebrated its independence, Shelby County residents also celebrated their independence to have quality health care services in their own backyard.