The Pulmonary Clinic at HSHS St. Mary's is staffed by the HSHS Medical Group and offers treatment for many pulmonary conditions that include, but are not limited to COPD, emphysema, asthma and sleep apnea.
The Pulmonary clinic works closely with Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and the Sleep Medicine Center with cases that involve sleep disorders.
For more information about pulmonology services, including pulmonary function tests (PFT) at HSHS St. Mary's Hospital, please call 217-464-1350.
What You Need to Know
Symptoms include chronic cough, shortnessof breath, chest tightness, and increased effort to breathe. People with such chronic breathing difficulties are not cured but can be helped through a pulmonary rehabilitation program.
- Reducing the number of hospitalizations
- Improving endurance during exercise
- Improving motivation and self-confidence
- Slowing the natural progression of the disease
- Specially trained staff including a respiratory therapist and a registered nurse work in conjunction with your physician, helping you achieve the highest possible functional capacity and improve your quality of life.
- Treatment methods are tailored to your individual needs and include:
- Educational sessions about COPD coping mechanisms
- Exercise conditioning
- Bronchial hygiene techniques as needed Nutritional evaluation by the hospital’s dietitians
- Respiratory muscle strengthening
- Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy evaluations if needed
Pulmonary rehabilitation sessions are offered on a tri-weekly basis (Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays) in the cardiopulmonary rehabilitation exercise room on the fourth floor.
HSHS St. Mary’s pulmonary rehabilitation program is open to any non-smoker with a documented diagnosis of restrictive pulmonary disease or COPD. A written physician’s referral is required. The total cost of the program depends upon the number of services required. Generally, health insurance policies including Medicare will cover or partially cover services provided by the program. Contact your insurance company for more details.
HSHS St. Mary’s pulmonary rehabilitation program offers ongoing assistance to help you maintain optimal pulmonary capacity and endurance, even after you’ve completed the program.
For more information, please call HSHS St. Mary’s Pulmonary Function Laboratory at 217-464-2603 or Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation at 217-464-2056.